Monday, May 2, 2011

Transgender in Athletics

Today I had writers block and was limited on the events I was finding on the internet to write about for my blog, so I flipped on ESPN and watched “Outside the Lines” which focuses on very important stories and issues about sports with amateur and professional players. Here the main focus was centered on Kye Allums, a Junior basketball player for the George Washington women’s team. Kye is the first publicly transgendered person to play college sports. Her story goes into great detail about the emotion and events that happened to get to the point she is at right now. In high school she had occurrences with other females thinking she might be a lesbian. However this simply wore off and things didn’t feel right, believing that the body he was born into was simply the wrong gender Kye sent his mother an email stating his feelings. That he didn’t choose to be born in this body, and feel the he does. Kye will finish out his playing career then have the necessary procedure and drug protocol done to become a male gender. I personally don’t know how I can express my opinion on such a subject because I have never experience anything even close to this measure, being trapped in a body you never wanted would be a terrible nightmare. I think that I would do the same thing if I was feeling all the emotions Kye was feeling, however at the same time I definitely feel for the mother who has been pretty upset over the whole thing. It is your baby girl you raised when she was little all the way up until college and you never once would think that something like the idea of transgender would fall into the equation. I am really happy to hear that Kye has the support of her coach and teammates because with out them I don’t know how he could make it through this period of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment